Listening--seems easy, we take it for granted, yet spend more time talking than really listening. I just read a nice blog that offered a good reminder of critical listening skills. This posting cam from "Dumb Little Man-Tips For Life," it is worthwhile reading. Here is the summary, but read the post:
- Be legitimately interested.
- Avoid planning counterarguments.
- Be honest about your time.
- Accept the speaker's point of view.
- Use body language, eye contact and repetition.
- Go beyond words.
- Get rid of distractions.
- Be aware of your history with the speaker.
- Ask questions.
- Watch and learn from the "good listener."
Listening---it's important, we all need to do it better and more actively!